Monday, November 26, 2018

Recent activities, winter 2018

As the winter term of the 2017 - 2018 academic session gets underway, things will be busy. I will be teaching two courses in the fall term at Trent University: Human inequality in global perspective - issues, for the first time, and Peasants, Food and Agrarian Change. However, the fieldwork that I undertook in the summer and fall of 2017 will require that I finalize four reports for the United Nations Poverty-Environment Initiative Africa, on the drivers of gender gaps in agricultural productivity in Ethiopia, Malawi, Tanzania and Uganda. As part of that work, I will launch the published versions of the reports just as the term comes to an end, in Addis Ababa, Lilongwe, Dar es Salaam and Kampala. It is also probable that fieldwork in Ethiopia will begin. At the same time, I will be undertaking an assignment for the Ho Chi Minh Political Academy in Hanoi, on gender and economics, and this will take me to Hanoi late in the term.

If that was not enough, I already have two speaking engagements lined up. One will take me back to Berlin in February, and my ongoing relationship with GLOCON at the Free University. The second will take me back to my former place of employment, the International Institute of Social Studies, in March. I will also, most likely, be speaking at the annual conference of the International Association for Feminist Economics, and at the annual conference of the Canadian Association for the Study of International Development.

Work will commence in earnest on a new book, of which I am co-editor: The Elgar Handbook of Critical Agrarian Studies. This was due to start last year, but issues with my co-editors slowed things down. Several pieces that I have written will be published, and several more that are in peer review will be finalized.

Of course, work as Editor-in-Chief of the Canadian Journal of Development Studies is ongoing, as is work as Associate Editor of Feminist Economics.

At the same time, I am pretty sure that over the course of the next few months something new will come up; it always does. So the winter of 2018 looks, as ever, to be crowded.

No comments: